Allergy Season Is Coming: Are You Prepared?
The good news for the millions of Americans who suffer from allergies is that they can take action against symptoms before they start.Dust and pollen are common airborne allergens that cause these symptoms. Here are some everyday steps you can take to help you avoid them.
- Keep windows closed in the car and at home and limit outdoor activities, especially when the pollen count is high.
- Shower before you go to bed to help remove allergens that may have collected on you or your clothes throughout the day.
- Do not hang laundry outside to dry where it may collect pollen and other allergens.
- Use a dryer or hang the clothes inside instead.
- Use a portable room air cleaner in your bedroom to filter airborne particles and help you breath–and sleep–easier.
In a recent survey conducted by AHAM, removing dust was the top reason for purchasing an air cleaner. These portable appliances can be moved from room to room, and a portable air cleaner that’s received a Clean Air Delivery Rate (CADR) rating.
Before purchasing the air cleaner, you should know the size of the room in which you’ll use it. You can search the directory found on the AHAM Verifide website and compare models. Look at the ratings for tobacco smoke, dust and pollen, and find the models that have the highest ratings since they will clean the room the fastest. You can then weigh the importance of product features, such as noise levels and design, to find an air cleaner that fits your needs. You can also obtain your free copy of AHAM’s Directory of Certified Air Cleaners here.